I am an experienced workshop facilitator, covering poetry, performance, media, social media, event managment, Fairtrade, co-operatives and crochet, for all ages, environments and backgrounds.
Get in touch about how I can facilitate a workshop that suits your needs, my rates are flexible according to the organisation and individual. Also happy to accomodate skill share and trading! email@example.com
Here’s a lovely quote from a teacher at Richmond Academy
“Catherine’s vivacious and affable personality really engages young people. She is flexible, diverse and fun in her approach to workshops. She can work effectively with young people from a full range of backgrounds and behavioural needs.”
Spoken Word Coach Experience
- Workshop leader for Tolerance UK, working with young people to produce a short drama on the theme of inter-racial tension.
- Ran a two week workshop with a group of hard-to-reach 13 & 14 year olds at the Florence Nightingale Museum, funded by the Cultural Olympiad as part of Stories of the World: London World City. Devised a programme where young people wrote and performed a poem around an object in the museum. The sound recordings became part of the museum’s audio guide.
- Spoken Word Coach for Silence Is Not Golden at the Broadway Theatre in Barking. Creating a group poem with 5 young people on the theme of Fair Trade which was performed at the Broadway as part of a Spoken Word performance event on speaking out about issues young people care about. The Coaches also performed a group piece and organised the show.
- New Belfast Creative Arts Workshop Facilitator in an all boys’ and an all girls’ school in West Belfast, over 6 weeks with pupils aged 8-9 and 13-14. Pupils produced poetry that was performed and recorded for a poetry CD.
- Recruited fellow poets and devised and facilitated workshops at Richmond Academy, London, a very challenging school. Poems where created from scratch in three 45 minute sessions. Three pupils from each group performed their poem to the whole group. Each pupil anonymously voted for their favourite performance.
- Workshop Facilitator for the Serpentine Gallery in Hyde Park for an event focused on the Egyptian Uprising. The group of individuals aged from 8-70 wrote their own poems which where woven together to produce a collaborative poem performed by the whole group.
- Louis Carroll Children’s Library, 1hr workshop for 8-13 year olds for Black History Month on the theme of freedom.
- Over the course of a month in Nairobi, Kenya, ran a workshop on writing and performance, performed at many local poetry events and organised my own show collaborating with local artists. Secured national press coverage and a radio appearance. More information about my experience of the Kenyan poetry scene can be found here: https://catherinebrogan.wordpress.com/reviews-news/nairobi-poetry
- Poetry For Protest workshop facilitator at Tent City University at the site of the Occupy London protest.
- Workshop Facilitator linked to Citizenship classes in a secondary school in Blackheath.
- Facilitator of Youth Parliament Workshop for 16-18 year olds at the Houses of Parliament, using poetry writing and performance to enhance speeches the participants were writing on assigned issues to be delivered in the Commons.